Metalottery integrates Chainlink VRF to bring verifiable randomness to its Decentraland-based lottery
Metalottery is thrilled to announce that we have integrated Chainlink Verifiable Random Function (VRF) on Ethereum mainnet. Chainlink VRF is a highly secure and reliable random number generator (RNG) solution purpose-built for smart contract applications, providing users with cryptographic proof that the randomness is generated in a tamper-proof manner. Through Chainlink’s industry-standard oracle network, our users can now verify that all winners were selected in a provably fair manner, creating a level playing field and an equally competitive experience for all participants.
Our application is built on the Decentraland platform, which itself runs on Ethereum mainnet. The total prize amount within the self-filling pools increases with every ticket sold. Currently, 93% of ticket sales go in the self-filling pools, while the other 7% goes to the team to help finance future improvements, such as new games and deployment on other chains. The percentage of the tickets sales that go in the pool can be increased but never decreased. You can access Metalottery directly on Decentraland by following this link: https://play.decentraland.org/?position=-36%2C28.
Metalottery’s smart contracts require a random number input to select a winner. Before Chainlink VRF, decentralized applications would generate random numbers using supposedly random blockchain parameters as inputs, such as block hashes. However, not only are these parameters predictable, but blockchain miners could also manipulate the RNG by neglecting to publish blocks with block hashes that led to unfavorable outcomes. Other smart contract applications would rely on centralized off-chain randomness providers, but these were also problematic as they required users to place their trust in an opaque process.
To solve these problems, we needed a source of blockchain randomness that was both transparent and provably fair — which is why we chose to integrate Chainlink VRF. On a technical level, Chainlink VRF works by combining block data that is unknown when the VRF request is initiated with the oracle node’s pre-committed private key to generate both a random number and a cryptographic proof. The smart contract will only accept the random number input if it has valid cryptographic proof, and a valid cryptographic proof can only be generated if the VRF process is tamper-proof. This ensures that the winner cannot be predicted in advance nor influenced by the Metalottery team, node operators, blockchain miners, or any other participants.
“When we set out to create a lottery directly on Decentraland, we knew that we needed to find a transparent and fair randomness solution, and Chainlink VRF was the only candidate that met our security requirements,” stated Co-Founder of Metalottery. “Anyone can verify Chainlink VRF’s on-chain cryptographic proofs to confirm that prizes are distributed in a provably random manner, ensuring all participants have an equal opportunity to win.”
Chainlink is the most widely used and secure way to power universally connected smart contracts. With Chainlink, developers can connect any blockchain with high-quality data sources from other blockchains as well as real-world data. Managed by a global, decentralized community of hundreds of thousands of people, Chainlink is introducing a fairer model for contracts. Its network currently secures billions of dollars in value for smart contracts across the decentralized finance (DeFi), insurance and gaming ecosystems, among others.
Chainlink is trusted by hundreds of organizations to deliver definitive truth via secure, reliable data feeds. To learn more, visit chain.link, subscribe to the Chainlink newsletter and follow @chainlink on Twitter.
Metalottery aims to become the cross-metaverse lottery. Thanks to blockchain technology and Chainlink, Metalottery is able to guarantee a secure and transparent gaming process.